Ears & Hearing
- Hedgehogs have large ears and have an excellent sense of hearing, making them alert to their surroundings.
- Unfamiliar sounds or loud noises can cause hedgehogs to react by huffing and ducking their heads, in defense.
- Hedgehogs can become accustomed to a busy household, but it may take some time to get used to new surroundings.
- Providing continual background music to animals is quite beneficial, because it diminishes other, possibly disturbing sounds.
- Hedgehogs are able to sense high pitched sounds that the human ear cannot. You must take into consideration, any electronic devices near your hedgehog, such as computer. These high-pitched sounds can be irritating to your hedgehog.
Hearing Related to Handling
- Hedgehogs can and will become accustomed to your voice and sounds in its environment.
- Use this to your advantage in your handling and bonding process.
- When you get your hedgehog out of its cage, first tap on the side and talk to it for a moment. That will give your hedgehog advance notice of what you are preparing to do.
- At Millermeade Farms our hedgehogs all know the sound of their feed cart and most of them are ready and waiting at feeding time.