About Pet-Pro Products
- Pet-Pro Products is a small company committed to the development of specialized animal food and animal health products.
- Individual formulas are developed for specific animals and are created to provide the highest quality nutrition possible. Pet-Pro works hand-in-hand with breeders across the country to improve their formulas for optimal production and growth potential.
- Pet-Pro kibble diets are extruded via a patented process that utilizes friction as the sole source of heat.
- Each product provides great taste, quality nutrition, and excellent value.
- All products are created in small batches that allow for maximum freshness for the consumer.
Intentional Selection of Ingredients
- Ingredients are carefully selected for maximum digestibility and nutrient absorption. Hedgehogs have a very short digestive tract (no caecum) compared to other animals.
- Ingredients are selected for hedgehog’s unique nutritional requirements. Hedgehogs are prone to fatty liver disease and cancer, so vitamins, minerals, enzymes and nutrients are carefully chosen for the hedgehog’s unique needs.
- Each ingredient is selected to furnish certain amino acids (proteins), carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Each ingredient is included in specific amounts to balance the total diet formula.
- Each type of protein has a different “quality” or “value” based on the consumers ability to convert it into a usable amino acid. Very little is known about the hedgehog’s ability to utilize various form of proteins so a wide variety of protein sources is important.
- According to The Biology Project in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics at University of Arizona:
Amino acids play central roles both as building blocks of proteins and as intermediates in metabolism. The 20 amino acids that are found within proteins convey a vast array of chemical versatility.
The precise amino acid content, and the sequence of those amino acids, of a specific protein, is determined by the sequence of the bases in the gene that encodes that protein. The chemical properties of the amino acids of proteins determine the biological activity of the protein. Proteins not only catalyze all (or most) of the reactions in living cells, they control virtually all cellular processes.
- Chelated trace minerals are paired with amino acids during which the process allows for immediate absorption of the minerals. Very few foods contain this benefit.
- Spike’s Ultra contains higher amounts of potassium and lower amounts of iron than traditional cat food, which is beneficial to hedgehogs.
- Pet-Pro is constantly learning about probiotics and feel that in processing too many enzymes and probiotics may be destroyed. Therefore, Pet –Pro Products recommend supplementing the diet with specific enzymes and probiotics if preferred. A specific product is being developed to meet this need.
- Only natural pesticides and preservatives added to the food.
- Trace amounts of preservatives are used in the vitamin and mineral packs to maintain their integrity.
- Spike’s Ultra contains sources of beneficial fiber.
- The extrusion process is superior to other forms of processing and is a common method of mixing ingredients and creating foods in both the human and animal food industry.
- Extursion methods can include hot, cold, dry, wet, and steam injected extrusion processing.
- The Pet-Pro Patented Friction Extrusion Processing is unique in that it uses friction created heat as the sole source of heat for the cooking process.
- This patented process provides benefits that include:
- Maximum digestibility of foods
- Gelatination of starch into soluble fiber
- Sterilization of each product
- Denaturization of enzyme inhibitors and inactivation of anti-nutritional factors
- Texturizing of each product
- Protection of nutritional integrity
- The friction extrusion processing method dramatically affects the bioavailability of nutrients and how the animal can use the nutrients.
- Grains are stored whole and are ground during the extrusion process. Once ground, grains begin to lose their nutrient value. The nutritional integrity and bioavailability of nutrients are increased using the friction extrusion process.
- Each piece of kibble is considered “nutrient dense”. Hedgehogs eat a small amount of food compared to other animals and therefore each bite needs to be as nutritious as possible.
- The size of the kibble is ideal in size for babies and adults.
- The Spike’s Delite kibble is easily crunched by a hedgehog, which helps to clean teeth. It does absorb water or broth readily to make a suitable mash for hedgies with special needs.
- Some food companies use binding ingredients to help the pellets form. The extrusion process heats the natural starch in the grains. When the starch cools it is a natural binder and no additional binders are required.
Ingredient Overview & Analysis of Spike’s Delite Ultra
- The higher the quality of protein the higher the digestibility by the consumer. I.e. hair is extremely high in protein but has zero digestibility. Quality proteins are 80-95% digestible.
- Spike’s Ultra has excellent ratios of protein (35%), fat (12%), and fiber (8%).
- Keep in mind there must be an appropriate balance of protein and fat so that the liver does not have problems processing the protein.
- Natural sources of fiber help improve digestive tract movement, and prevent diarrhea.
- It contains diverse sources of protein, whole dried chicken meat, chicken meal, chicken fat, whole dried egg, blood meal, whole flax meal, animal plasma, and fish meal, with chicken meal being the main ingredient.
- High protein sources are needed to balance lower protein ingredients such as any cereal grain.
Whole Dried Chicken Meat
- This spray dried cooked chicken meat is a pure form of chicken. There are no bones, no viscera, and no feathers in this product.
- Whole dried chicken meat has 41% protein and 41% fat.
- The whole chicken powder/flour appears clumpy in dry form because of high fat content.
Whole Brown Rice
- This all natural, whole grain is considered the most nutritious of all traditional cereal grains when compared to corn and wheat
- It is also the most hypoallergenic of cereal grains when compared to corn, wheat, and soy
- The oatmeal in this food is human-grade, pure oatmeal without hulls.
- Oatmeal is soothing to the digestive system and provides excellent protein and carbohydrate combination.
- Oats contain digestible fiber, which aids in lowering the “bad” HDL cholesterol levels and provides lecithin to help the liver.
- The oats are cooked whole without being ground into flour. The friction extrusion process “cooks” the oats during the processing, however small particles of the oatmeal may remain intact through the cooking and digestion process.
- Oats are a natural source of antioxidants.
- Chicken fat is a superior energy source and a safe and health fat source necessary to complete the diet.
- Chicken fat naturally increases palatability of the food to the animal without any additional artificial or natural flavors.
- The chicken fat is naturally preserved using mixed tocopherols with rosemary extract, green tea, extract, and spearmint extract).
Dried Whole Egg
- Eggs are very high in digestible protein and are considered a complete whole food.
- Numerous studies show that eggs are a significant part of a wild hedgehog’s natural diet.
Spray Dried Blood Meal
- Blood meal is an 80% protein source with a broad range of amino acids.
- It’s EXELLENT digestibility properties are ideal for young and growing hedgehogs.
- Spray dried blood meal is a high quality product that is not a “left-over” from the rendering industry.
- Hedgehogs in the wild and captivity that eat small mammals such as mice pinkies would natural consume blood as part of their diet.
Whole Flax Meal
- Whole flax meal is high in protein and Omega 3.
- It is also a natural source of beneficial fiber which is extremely beneficial to the digestive system.
Spray Dried Animal Plasma
- High protein sources in foods are needed to balance lower protein ingredients and to provide a wider range of amino acid consumption.
- Spray dried animal plasma is a 90% protein source, has EXCELLENT digestibility, and contains a broad range of amino acids.
Whole Grain Soy Hulls
- Whole grain soy hulls are ground by Pet-Pro in house.
- They are a natural source of fiber to aide in digestion by slowing movement of food through the digestive system allowing better nutrient absorption
- This form of fiber serves to absorb excess moisture in the large intestine.
- Reducing excess moisture reduces the risk of diarrhea by acting like a sponge thus creating well-formed stool.
- This is especially important in young animals and/or animals under stress.
(Stabilized) Rice Bran
- Excellent source of super antioxidants at the cellular level.
- The special vitamin-E complex. (which is only found in rice bran, barley and palm oil)
- Other benefits linked to rice bran
- Bone loss reduction
- Reduction in the risk of intestinal cancer
- Assists in fighting heart disease
- Naturally chelated trace minerals.
- Excellent source of B12.
- Excellent source of iodine which helps regulate metabolism.
- Excellent source of B Vitamins including biotin.
- Minerals including zinc.
- High quality proteins.
- 60% protein source.
- High digestibility.
- Excellent source of lysine. Lysine is typically the limiting amino acid in foods
- Animals have 10 required amino acids for muscle development
- Lysine is generally low in most natural protein sources
- Natural Omegas 3 source.
- Menhaden fishmeal sources may have tiny particles of bone. This would be similar to humans eating salmon.
Vitamins and Minerals
- Highly fortified with vitamins and minerals to balance other ingredients in order to ensure correct daily intake.
- Specific vitamin and minerals are added to not only balance the diet but to specifically enhance fat utilization in the liver.
- High levels of Vitamin E as an all-natural preservative.
- Yucca – natural odor control.
- Folic Acid – higher than normal levels for reproductive health.
- Chelated Trace Minerals – increases bioavailability of minerals.
- Choline chloride to help liver utilize fats and decrease liver problems.
- Methionine for kidney health.
- High zinc and manganese for improved reproduction.
Spike’s Delite is made by Pet-Pro Products, an exotic animal feed company, and is not available at most pet stores. You can order direct at by calling toll-free 1-877-977-8310 or http://www.pet-pro.com. Free samples are available for new customers. You will receive a 10% discount if you mention that “Gail Dick” is your sales representative.