Pet Pro’s Spike’s Ultra
About Pet-Pro Products
- Pet-Pro Products is a small company committed to the development of specialized animal food and animal health products.
- Individual formulas are developed for specific animals and “cooked” (extruded) to provide the highest quality nutrition possible.
- Each product provides great taste, quality nutrition, and excellent value.
The Pet-Pro Difference
Almost all Pet-Pro Basic Diets are extruded (cooked) using friction as the sole source of heat.
This patented process provides benefits that include:
- Increased digestibility
- Gelatination of starch
- Sterilization of each product
- Denaturization of enzyme inhibitors
- Texturizing of each product
Intentional Selection of Ingredients
- Ingredients are carefully selected for maximum digestibility and nutrient absorption. Hedgehogs have a very short digestive tract (no caecum) compared to other animals.
- Each ingredient is selected to furnish certain amino acids (proteins), carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Each ingredient is included in specific amounts to balance the total diet formula.
- Ingredients are selected for hedgehog’s unique nutritional requirements. Hedgehogs are prone to fatty liver disease and cancer, so vitamins, minerals, enzymes and nutrients are carefully chosen for the hedgehog’s unique needs.
- Grains have incomplete proteins since they do not include all amino acids.
- According to The Biology Project in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics at University of Arizona:
Amino acids play central roles both as building blocks of proteins and as intermediates in metabolism. The 20 amino acids that are found within proteins convey a vast array of chemical versatility.
The precise amino acid content, and the sequence of those amino acids, of a specific protein, is determined by the sequence of the bases in the gene that encodes that protein. The chemical properties of the amino acids of proteins determine the biological activity of the protein. Proteins not only catalyze all (or most) of the reactions in living cells, they control virtually all cellular processes.
- Chelated trace minerals are paired with amino acids during which the process allows for immediate absorption of the minerals. Very few foods contain this benefit.
- Spike’s Ultra contains higher amounts of potassium and lower amounts of iron than traditional cat food, which is beneficial to hedgehogs.
- Pet-Pro is constantly learning about probiotics and feel that in processing too many enzymes and probiotics may be destroyed. Therefore, Pet –Pro Products recommend supplementing the diet with specific enzymes and probiotics if preferred. A specific product is being developed to meet this need.
- Only natural pesticides or preservatives added to the food.
- Trace amounts of preservatives are used in the vitamin and mineral packs to maintain their integrity.
- Spike’s Ultra contains sources of beneficial fiber.
- The extrusion process is superior to other forms of processing. Friction is the only heat source used in the cooking process, which maintains the integrity of ingredients.
- Extrusion method processing, enables maximum digestibility of foods. The method of processing dramatically affects the quality of nutrients available and how the animal can use the nutrients
- Each piece of kibble is considered “nutrient dense”. Hedgehogs eat a small amount of food compared to other animals and therefore each bite needs to be as nutritious as possible.
- The size of the kibble is ideal in size for babies and adults.
- The Spike’s Delite kibble is easily crunched by a hedgehog, which helps to clean teeth. It does absorb water or broth readily to make a suitable mash for hedgies with special needs.
- Some food companies use binding ingredients to help the pellets form. The extrusion process heats the natural starch in the grains. When the starch cools it is a natural binder and no additional binders are required.
Ingredient Overview & Analysis of Spike’s Delite Ultra
- The higher the quality of protein the higher the digestibility by the consumer. I.e. hair is extremely high in protein but has zero digestibility. Quality proteins are 80-95% digestible.
- Spike’s Ultra has excellent ratios of protein (35%), fat (12%), and fiber (8%).
- Keep in mind there must be an appropriate balance of protein and fat so that the liver does not have problems processing the protein.
- Natural sources of fiber help improve digestive tract movement, and prevent diarrhea.
- It contains diverse sources of protein, whole dried chicken meat, chicken meal, chicken fat, whole dried egg, blood meal, whole flax meal, animal plasma, and fish meal, with chicken meal being the main ingredient.
- High protein sources are needed to balance lower protein ingredients such as any cereal grain.
Whole Dried Chicken Meat
- Spray dried cooked chicken meat is a pure form of chicken
- No bones, no viscera, no feathers.
- 41% protein
- 41% fat
- The whole chicken powder/flour appears clumpy in dry form because of high fat content.
Whole Brown Rice Flour
- All natural whole grain
- Most nutritious of all traditional cereal grains when compared to corn and wheat
- Most hypoallergenic of cereal grains when compared to corn, wheat, and soy
- Pure oatmeal without hulls.
- Oatmeal is soothing to the digestive system.
- Provides excellent protein and carbohydrate combination.
- Digestible fiber, which aids in lowering the “bad” HDL cholesterol levels and provides lecithin to help the liver.
- The oats are cooked whole without being ground into flour. Small particles of the oatmeal may remain intact through the cooking and digestion process.
- Superior energy source.
- Increases palatability.
- Natural preservative.
Dried Whole Egg
- High protein.
- Considered a complete whole food.
- Highly digestible protein.
Spray Dried Blood Meal
- 80% protein source.
- EXELLENT digestibility for young and growing hedgehogs.
- Has a broad range of amino acids.
- Natural ingredient that hedgehogs in the wild would consume.
Whole Flax Meal
- High protein source.
- Extremely beneficial to the digestive system.
- Omega 3 sources.
- Natural source of beneficial fiber.
Spray Dried Animal Plasma
- 90% protein source.
- EXELLENT digestibility.
- Broad range of amino acids.
- High protein sources are needed to balance lower protein ingredients
- Whole Grain Soy Hulls
- Ground by Pet-Pro in house.
- Natural source of fiber to aide in digestion by slowing movement of food through the digestive system allowing better nutrient absorption
- This form of fiber serves to absorb excess moisture in the large intestine.
- Reducing excess moisture reduces the risk of diarrhea by acting like a sponge thus creating well-formed stool.
- This is especially important in young animals and/or animals under stress.
(Stabilized) Rice Bran
- Excellent source of super antioxidants at the cellular level.
- The special vitamin-E complex. (which is only found in rice bran, barley and palm oil)
- Other benefits linked to rice bran
- Bone loss reduction
- Reduction in the risk of intestinal cancer
- Assists in fighting heart disease
- Naturally chelated trace minerals.
- Excellent source of B12.
- Excellent source of iodine which helps regulate metabolism.
- Excellent source of B Vitamins including biotin.
- Minerals including zinc.
- High quality proteins.
- 60% protein source.
- High digestibility.
- Excellent source of lysine. Lysine is typically the limiting amino acid in foods
- Animals have 10 required amino acids for muscle development
- Lysine is generally low in most natural protein sources
- Natural Omegas 3 source.
- Menhaden fishmeal sources may have tiny particles of bone. This would be similar to humans eating salmon.
Vitamins and Minerals
- Highly fortified with vitamins and minerals to balance other ingredients in order to ensure correct daily intake.
- Specific vitamin and minerals are added to not only balance the diet but to specifically enhance fat utilization in the liver.
- High levels of Vitamin E as an all-natural preservative.
- Yucca – natural odor control.
- Folic Acid – higher than normal levels for reproductive health.
- Chelated Trace Minerals – increases bioavailability of minerals.
- Choline chloride to help liver utilize fats and decrease liver problems.
- Methionine for kidney health.
- High zinc and manganese for improved reproduction.
Spike’s Delite is made by Pet-Pro Products, an exotic animal feed company, and is not available at most pet stores. You can order direct at by calling toll-free 1-877-977-8310 or http://www.pet-pro.com. Free samples are available for new customers. You will receive a 10% discount if you mention that “Gail Dick” is your sales representative.