Positive Aspects Of Hedgehog Ownership
- They don’t need to be walked or require a large amount of space for them to exercise.
- Most hedgehogs clean themselves through a process of licking, scratching, and shaking and seldom need bathed.
- Hedgehogs are quiet by nature, and the most noise they make is their wheeling activity and possible cage rearranging or water bottle banging.
- Most hedgehogs only require weekly cage cleaning but some hedgehogs are messier and may require spot cleaning throughout the week.
- A healthy hedgehog on a good diet does not have a distinct body odor like a ferret or male mouse.
- Hedgehogs do not have dander like cats, dogs, or other animals, so they are a better pet option for people who have allergies.
- Hedgehogs are NOT rodents, and they do not have a propensity to chew, gnaw on, or destroy their surroundings.
- Hedgies do not require routine shots, vaccinations, or veterinary testing but annual vet-checks are highly recommended.
- Hedgehogs are not aggressive by nature. Their spines are used as defense only when they are scared, nervous, or feel they have reason to protect themselves.
- People that are looking for an exotic pet are attracted to hedgehogs because of their uniqueness, but hedgehogs have the advantage that they have been captive bred for many generations.
- Hedgehogs are cute, curious and they can be cuddly!
Gail Dick, Millermeade Farms