Last Updated on August 24, 2022.
- Hedgehogs are quite active in the wild and frequently run in circles. Therefore, running laps inside the cage can be a great form of exercise.
- Hedgehogs can run in circles or even in a figure-eight pattern.
- Breeders report seeing athletic hedgehog moms headed for the food dish run over baby hedgehogs when the toddlers get in their way!
- Some hedgehogs may pace at the front of their cages in anticipation of exercise or feeding time. This is normal behavior as long as it stops once you feed the hedgehog or remove it from its cage.
- Obsessive and compulsive pacing occurs when animals are confined in cages that are too small.
- Hedgehogs with physical problems may also turn in circles, often with their heads tilted at an angle. This kind of circling needs immediate veterinary attention.
Primary Author: Gail Smith, Millermeade Farm’s Critter Connection
Contributor: Melissa Ramos
VIDEO.: RUN HEDGIE RUN… CAGE PACING
VIDEO.: MOM CAGE PACING, HURDLING BABIES