Last Updated on August 25, 2022.
In the wild, hedgehogs are always exploring their surroundings for food and shelter. Pet hedgehogs are shy and tend to take some time to uncurl and explore their surroundings. Sudden movements and noises tend to startle them and make them curl into a ball.
- When your hedgehog uncurls, it will most likely begin to explore and start checking out its surroundings.
- Some hedgehogs are brave explorers and will immediately uncurl and start walking on your hands. Others will start out by sniffing and ducking their head at the slightest of noises.
- Hedgehogs will not jump, but they will walk right off your hands. As your hedgehog walks off of one hand, move the other hand in front of it so it has a new walking platform.
- Hedgehogs are not “fast” when compared to other animals; but when a hedgehog starts moving in your hands, it will certainly seem to be quite speedy.
- As your hedgehog gains confidence exploring your hands it will gain confidence in you.
- There are times when you will want to cuddle with your hedgehog and it will want to explore. Breeders strongly recommend that you allow your hedgehog to burn off some of its energy so that when it is good and ready there is a good chance, it will come up to you and find a place to snuggle.
Primary Author: Gail Dick, Millermeade Farm’s Critter Connection