Last Updated on November 8, 2022.
- It is important to watch for any signs of irritation and clean this area as soon as an irritation is detected.
- Hedgehogs are very low to the ground and so both male and female hedgehogs can get bedding stuck to their genital area.
- Clumping cat litter should NEVER be used and clay non-clumping, clay cat litter.
- When a male urinates, bedding may stick to the penis and get drawn up into the penile sheath.Hedgehog Penis: Anatomy, Structure And Urogenital Disorders (hedgehoged.com)
- Bedding trapped in the penile sheath can cause local infection and urinary tract infections.
- Allow your hedgehog to walk in shallow, warm water to relax your hedgehog and hopefully soften what needs to come out before gently removing it.
Urinary Tract Infections
- Urinary tract infections are usually bacterial in nature.
- Females are usually more inclined to urinary tract infections because they have a shorter tract to the outside of the body and it is closer to the anal area.
- Symptoms to recognize
- Change in elimination habits. For example, urinating while in a ball or sleeping bag when previously did not have this problem.
- Blood in the urine.
- Frequent urination of small amounts.
- Straining to urinate.
- Hedgehog Pee Guide (Peeing on you? Color issues and advice) – African Pygmy Hedgehogs
- The sooner a potential problem is noticed and treated the better your hedgehog will have for a complete recovery.
- Yeast infections are typically caused by an overgrowth of existing organisms caused by weakened immune systems.
- Females are usually more inclined to yeast infections because there is a change in pH in the area during breeding.
- At this point in time studies have not been done to determine if there is a link between females that are not bred and an increased risk of uterine cancer.
- Some hedgehog experts believe female hedgehogs that are not going to be bred should be spayed as a preventative measure. Management of Hedgehogs – Exotic and Laboratory Animals – MSD Veterinary Manual (msdvetmanual.com)
Contributors: Gail Smith, Melissa Ramos, Coley Emde