Last Updated on August 5, 2022.
- Baby hedgehogs are called hoglets.
- Hedgehogs can produce litter sizes ranging from 1-9, with the average litter size being 3-4.
- The gestation or the amount of time from conception time until birth is typically 33-35 days.
- The average recommended breeding age is six months.
- Babies are born blind
- Babies are born with soft clear spines that turn brown in 2-3 days.
- Eyes open in 2-3 weeks
- Weaning occurs at average of 5-6 weeks but can take a little less or a little longer for babies to mature.
VIDEO.: Peeking in on new hoglets
VIDEO.: What age are domestic hedgehogs considered mature
VIDEO.: Avoid disturbing hoglets and stressing out a new hedgehog mom
VIDEO.: Transition from nursing to kibble