Where To Purchase
- Hedgehogs can be found in a few pet stores, through brokers at flea markets or animal sales, or they can be purchased directly from breeders
- When buying animals, we recommend that you check out the source. Observe the health of the animals, the sellers’ knowledge, and their reputation and experience.
- Compare buying hedgehogs to buying strawberries.
- It is possible to find great strawberries at your local super-store. On the other hand, these strawberries are mass-produced, artificially ripened, and probably do not have the wonderful flavor as some of your other options. The stock person may not be as knowledgeable as other vendors as to how they were produced, the quality, or other information.
- Another place to buy fruit is from a local fruit market or a roadside stand. These markets can be more selective in the quality and freshness of their products. This retailer tends to have more invested interest in you, as a customer, and is probably a little more educated in the product.
- Finally, you can go to a strawberry farm and pick your berries yourself. Your tasty treat may be a little more difficult to obtain, will take more work, but you will have a completely different product in the end.
- urchasing animals should not be a matter of convenience and lowest bottom dollar. It may be well worth going out of your way to select a hedgehog that is right for you.
- Many people have their first introductions to hedgehogs through a pet store. We hesitate to label pet stores as “bad” without visiting the store and talking to the owner. However, many pet stores do not have the same knowledge and experience you can get from a breeder.
- We will not label all breeders as “good” simply because they are breeders. You may have to do a little work to find a suitable breeder in your area. We firmly believe that it would be well worth your time and energy to travel so that you might have a good buying experience, rather than to buy from a less suitable breeder or dealer simply because they are closer.