Last Updated on November 6, 2022.
- The epidermis and dermis are the two primary mammalian skin layers.
- The epidermis is the topmost layer of the selectively permeable skin barrier.
- It is called the dead skin layer, which provides waterproofing and serves as a barrier to damage.
- The dermis serves as the location for appendages of the skin including hair follicles and quills.
- Healthy skin is important to maintaining a formidable barrier to external stimuli including protecting against dehydration, environmental changes, and diseases such as bacterial infection.
- Any modifications to the skin’s barrier equilibrium may trigger skin conditions such as dryness, itchiness, or dermatitis (inflammation of the skin)
- Healthy skin can be hard to maintain due to numerous environmental factors
- Water itself can cause dry skin if one showers in excess or in hot water because it removes the oils the skin naturally secretes for moisture.
- Problems Associated With Dry Skin
- Causes of Dry Skin
- Diagnosis of Dry Skin
- Treatment of Dry Skin
- Other Skin Conditions
Contributor: Gail Smith