Time Spent With Your Breeder
- The time you spend with your breeder is one of the most important parts of purchasing a hedgehog.
- An experienced and knowledgeable breeder will give new owners a great deal of handling and care advice. A good breeder’s handling demonstration, and the new owner’s practice with the hedgehog, are keys to the new owner’s success.
- Learning to handle a hedgehog is comparable to learning to ride a bike. Personal instruction and practice are much better than watching a video or reading a book, and will have significantly greater results.
Presenting a Hedgehog as a Gift (Without the Actual Animal)
- Gift certificate – many breeders will create a gift certificate that can be redeemed by the recipient for a hedgehog.
- Cage – a wrapped cage and/or accessories can be a great surprise for the expectant hedgehog owner.
- Stuffed animal – cute stuffed animal hedgehogs are excellent temporary substitutions of the real thing!
- Mystery Ride – some hedgehog owners-to-be may enjoy the thrill of a mystery ride to pick up their new pet.
Pets for Youth and Children
- There are many things to consider when purchasing a hedgehog as a gift for a child.
- We strongly encourage you to read our article Pets for Youth and Children before consider a hedgehog as a gift to this age group.
Opportunity to Select a Hedgehog as a Pet
- Some hedgehog breeders have a small herd and babies are reserved and sold based on availability.
- Other breeders are able to offer an opportunity to select a pet from a small group of hedgehogs.
- The opportunity to select a hedgehog based on its personality is a wonderful experience. We encourage you to take advantage of this option, if it is available.
Contributor: Mary Lynn K McDermott