Food Additives to Help Dry Skin
Some hedgehog owners have found that food additives or supplements may also help improve skin quality.
- We suggest using food additives or supplements only under veterinary supervision.
- The following information is a summary of products used by other hedgehog enthusiasts but we cannot personally recommend any of the following products from our own experience.
Flax Seed Oil
- Flax Seed Oil is reported to help dry skin, aid in digestion, and is beneficial for overall good health.
- It can be purchased at any health food store.
- It should be refrigerated.
- Many breeders buy flax seed oil caplets from their local drugstore.
- These convenient capsules can be punctured on one to allow a small amount of oil to come out.
- If your hedgehog’s food does not already contain flax seed oil, you can also add a few drops to your hedgehog’s food.
- The kibble will readily absorb the flax seed oil. This can be repeated daily.
- Too much flax seed oil can cause diarrhea.
I think what really helps his skin is adding the flax oil to his food. I feed Hejji two teaspoons of chicken or turkey baby food with flax oil each night. I mix 2 capsules of flaxseed oil in the little jar, then freeze the baby food + flax oil mixture in a mini ice cube tray, once frozen I store the cubes of food in plastic bag in freezer = super easy. I think some people pour flaxseed oil over the dry food, but Hejji won’t touch it like that.
Specturm Essential Organic Oil
- This product contains Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids.
- It is found in the refrigerated section of some health food stores.
- Only one small drop per day is necessary while the problem persists then only a couple times a week on a maintenance level.
Fish Oil Concentrate with Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- One drop added to the food two or three times a week is a typical recommended dose.
- It will most likely take about one month to show improvement.
- The fish oil is also good for the heart.
- It must be kept refrigerated and tightly sealed or it will go rancid.
Feline Missing Link Supplement
- Contains Omega fatty acids 3, 6, and 9, which are helpful for dry skin.
Cod Liver Oil
- This has a high level of omega 3 fatty acids
- This also contains high levels of Vitamin A and D (both of which are fat-soluble)
- This means the level taken must be highly monitored as toxic effects can occur with overdoses of A and D.