Last Updated on December 15, 2023.
Regular Appointment Times
- We understand many of our customers travel several hours to come to the shop and we’re honored for you to make the drive. We do our best to accommodate desired appointment days and times.
- We ask our customers to reserve a baby no longer than two weeks in advance.
- You can schedule an Educational Visit to reserve a specific day and time and then choose a baby within the two week time frame of your visit.
- We have babies every week so there is no worry about selling out if you need to wait to make your appointment.
- Please do NOT to show up without an appointment because we cannot guarantee that we will be available.
- The first step is to watch our Hedgehog Connection Video. This video will go over important information that will help you get off to the best start possible with your new pet. We know the video is long but we have found that our customers are better prepared for hedgehog ownership by watching the video. We give our customers a free gift for watching the video because we think it is that important!
- Next choose an Available Baby.
- Use the link on the hedgehog listing to make your $25 deposit.
- During the deposit process you will be asked to choose a day and time for your appointment to meet him/her.
- We like our babies to go to their new homes as soon as possible so our time limit for pick up is two weeks. This is best for the hedgehog because it allows them to go to their new home for faster bonding.
- Once you reserve a hedgehog that baby is held for you as your first choice of babies to choose from when you come. You are welcome to handle other babies and select a different hedgehog at your visit.
What Happens During Your Appointment
- Preparing for your visit by reading our information guides and watching the Hedgehog Connection Video will help us focus on your questions when you get here and will help prevent you from feeling overwhelmed with information.
- The first thing we will do when you come is to review different aspects of hedgehog ownership and care. Topics include bathing, cage set up, toys, diet, and temperature requirements.
- You will be able to select products you need as we discuss each topic. We work hard at providing excellent products at great prices. We certainly appreciate your support by shopping with us.
- Next, we will work with you and give you handling tips and instructions to help you feel confident and capable of handling your new pet.
- When you reserve a specific hedgehog with a deposit you will have the opportunity to handle that baby and at least one other baby before making your final purchase decision.
- When you do not have a deposit on a specific baby we cannot guarantee specific animal availability or have advance notice of exactly which babies will be available at the time of your purchase.
- It is our goal to get each and every customer off to the best start possible with their new pet.
Length of Appointment
- The length of your appointment will depend on several factors, so make sure you allow plenty of time for your visit.
- How much time you spend preparing for your hedgehog and how well you understand your hedgehog’s needs will affect the length of your visit..
- Most appointments last about an hour.
Meet a Hedgehog Before You Buy One
- Choosing the right pet for you and your family is something we take very seriously.
- We hope that you research hedgehogs as pets and understand their needs and what to expect from them before making your purchase.
- It is hard to understand the prickliness of a hedgehog without actually holding one. Meeting a little critter in person before your purchase is definitely recommended if at all possible before actually making a purchase.
- Hedgehogs are still considered exotic pets and are relatively hard to find. Local zoos, animal educators, nature museums or children’s museums might be options to visit one locally if traveling to us is not an option.
Educational Visits at Critter Connection Are Welcome
- We welcome pre-purchase Educational Visits. This is a great option for meeting a hedgehog before making a purchase.
- When you visit we will treat you just like a purchasing customer and do our best to answer all of your questions, allow you to handle our babies, and share our passion with you.
- You MUST schedule a visit to our shop rather than simply showing up for a visit.
- You will have the opportunity to choose and purchase a hedgehog the day of your visit if you decide a hedgehog is the right pet for you.
- Please note that Educational Visits are included as part of your Hedgehog purchase. If you have reserved a specific hedgehog, it is not necessary to reserve an Educational Visit.
Surprise Gift Appointments
- There are times relatives or friends want to surprise a loved one with a visit to the shop to pick a hedgehog as a gift.
- We believe is it for that person to come to the appointment!
- Please read our Hedgehogs as Gifts and Pets for Youth and Children articles for more information to help you with your gift giving decisions.
- Even though a majority of our customers have prior animal experience, choosing and handling a hedgehog is drastically different than other pets.
- During your appointment your loved one will learn lots of information about care and you will have the opportunity to ask questions about recommended products and we will give you lots of tips on how to care for your hedgehog.
- Handling hedgehogs takes practice and understanding and we want you to get off to the best start possible with your new hedgehog.
- It is critical that everyone handling the hedgehog has a complete understanding of how to make hedgehogs comfortable and how to encourage them to trust you.
- A hedgehog will not likes its owner unless a trust relationship is not formed.
- Also, there are times that people discover that a hedgehog isn’t the best pet for them. When the gift recipient isn’t at the appointment, they may end up with a pet they wish they didn’t have because they expected something different.
- You may want to reserve your selection spot in advance via our Educational Visit page because we fill up quickly during the holidays.
- Closer to your appointment you can reserve your favorite baby.
- WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE THE PERSON RECEIVING THE HEDGEHOG OR THE PRIMARY CAREGIVER TO BE PRESENT AT THE PICK-UP APPOINTMENT.
- We reserve the right to refuse a sale. We love all of our animals and we want to make sure that new owners can provide quality care for their new pets.
- Transporting your hedgehog in one of our bonding products, a shoebox-size box, or a small carrier, instead of out in the open or in a large cage, will help him/her to feel safe on the drive home.
- We have variety of bonding products and carriers to choose from when you come.
- Most hedgehogs will sleep all the way home, and typically won’t eat or drink while traveling.